Laura M. Hoffmeister, Mayor
Edi E. Birsan, Vice Mayor
Ronald E. Leone
Timothy A. McGallian
Carlyn S. Obringer
1950 Parkside Drive
Concord, CA 94519
Regular Meeting of the Concord City Council
Tuesday, April 11, 2017
6:30 p.m. Open Session. Council Chamber. 1950 Parkside Drive
Information for the public on participation at Council meetings can be found on the back of the Speaker Identification Card located near the Council Chamber entrance. Should you have any questions after consulting the Speaker Identification Card, please contact the City Clerk prior to the Council meeting.
AGENDIZED ITEMS - The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the agenda before or during the City Council’s consideration of that item. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes.
Pledge to the Flag - Councilmember Leone
- PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
This is a fifteen minute Public Comment Period for items within the City Council’s subject matter jurisdiction that are not on this agenda. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes. State law prohibits the City Council from acting at this meeting on any matter raised during the Public Comment Period.
- Presentation - by Beth Ward, Contra Costa County Animal Services Director, on the Contra Costa County Animal Services Department. Introduction by Mayor Hoffmeister.
- Presentation - Nola Woods, Community Affairs Representative, on the Contra Costa Mosquito and Vector Control District. Introduction by Mayor Hoffmeister.
- Presentation - by Robert Kennedy, Parks Manager, proclaiming Saturday, April 22, 2017, as “Earth Day” in the City of Concord. Introduction by Mayor Hoffmeister.
- CITY COUNCIL CONSENT CALENDAR
The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the Consent Calendar before or during the City Council’s consideration of the Consent Calendar. Adoption of the Consent Calendar may be made by one motion of the City Council, provided that any Councilmember, individual or organization may request removal of an item from the Consent Calendar for separate consideration. If a request for removal of an item from the Consent Calendar has been received, the Mayor may defer action on the particular item and place the same on the regular agenda for consideration in any order s/he deems appropriate.
- Considering - approval of the minutes from the meeting of March 7, 2017. Recommended by the City Clerk.
- Considering - acceptance of Improvements for Detroit Avenue Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements Project, Project No. 2276; directing the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion; and approval of one construction contract change order in the total amount of $11,936.72 (Project funded by: PEG, State Gas Tax, Capital Projects General Fund, Measure Q, One Bay Area Grant, Measure Q Revenue Lease Bond, and Measure J Funds) Recommended by the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- Considering - acceptance of improvements for the Traffic Signal Head Retrofit Project, and directing the City Clerk to file a Notice of Completion. (Funded by Gas Tax, Measure Q, and Measure J local funds) Recommended by the Director of Public Works.
- Considering - adoption of Resolution No. 17-4735.2 approving a Side Letter Agreement between the City of Concord and Teamsters Local Union 856 creating a flexibly staffed General Laborer and Maintenance Worker I classification series and providing a pay differential of 10% to General Laborers when operating a gang mower. Recommended by the Director of Human Resources.
- Considering - adoption of Resolution No. 17-26 authorizing the Director of Public Works to enter into a 25-year license renewal with the United States Department of the Interior Bureau of Reclamation for an existing drainage ditch and 48-inch culvert used by the City to convey storm water. (There is no annual fee for the license.) Recommended by the Director of Public Works.
- CITY COUNCIL CONSIDERATION ITEMS
The public is entitled to address the City Council on items appearing on the agenda before or during the City Council’s consideration of that item. Each speaker will be limited to approximately three minutes.
- Considering - appointment of two applicants to the Design Review Board. Report by Joelle Fockler, City Clerk.
- Considering - appointment to fill five positions and two alternates on the Board of Appeals. Report by Joelle Fockler, City Clerk.
- Considering - approval of revisions to the City’s existing Economic Vitality Strategy. Report by Brian Nunnally, Business Development Manager.
- Considering - adoption of Resolution No. 17-29 approving the Park & Shop Design Guidelines and Master Sign Program. Report by Afshan Hamid, Senior Planner.
The adoption of design guidelines does not constitute a “project” under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) of 1970, pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Sections 15060(c), 15378, and Public Resources Code Section 21065. In addition, the proposed guidelines are consistent with the Downtown Specific Plan and no further environmental review is necessary after adoption of the Addendum of the SEIR on June 24, 2014 (CEQA Guidelines Section 15162, 15378 and Public Resources Code Section 2311166.).
Correspondence received at the City Council meeting will be listed here on the Annotated Agenda.
- REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Closed Session Announcements
City Manager or Staff Reports
Next Meeting: Regular Meeting
Date: 4/25/2017 - 6:30 PM
ADA NOTICE AND HEARING IMPAIRED PROVISIONS - The Council Chamber is equipped with Easy Listener Sound Amplifier units for use by the hearing impaired. The units operate in conjunction with the Chamber's sound system. You may request the Easy Listener Phonic Ear Personal Sound Amplifier from the City Clerk for personal use during Council meetings.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and California Law, it is the policy of the City of Concord to offer its public programs, services and meetings in a manner that is readily accessible to everyone, including those with disabilities. If you are disabled and require a copy of a public hearing notice, or an agenda and/or agenda packet in an appropriate alternative format; or if you require other accommodation, please contact the ADA Coordinator at (925) 671-3021, at least five days in advance of the hearing. Advance notification within this guideline will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility.
The following is a list of regular Council Committee meeting dates. Most meetings are held in the Garden Conference Room, 1950 Parkside Drive, Concord. NOTE: Meetings are subject to change or cancellation. For latest information and committee agendas please call 671-3158.
|Policy Development & Internal Operations||Hoffmeister/Birsan||2nd Thursday at 6:00 pm|
|Housing & Economic Development||Leone/Obringer||4th Monday at 5:30 pm|
|Infrastructure & Franchise||Birsan/Hoffmeister||2nd Monday at 6:00 pm|
|Recreation, Cultural Affairs & Community Services||Obringer/McGallian||3rd Wednesday at 5:30 pm|
|Youth & Education||McGallian/Leone||3rd Monday at 5:30 pm|