City of Concord, California

Sewer Permits

A Sewer Connection Permit must be issued by the Community and Economic Development Department for all sewer connections into the City of Concord Sanitary Sewer System.

Connection charges are set forth in the Concord Municipal Code (CMC) Article V, Chapter 2 - Section 5202.B.


A Sewer Connection Permit must be issued for any construction requiring a Building Permit, prior to the final building inspection and the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy where an initial connection to the sewer system is being made or an existing use is being increased. The Sewer Connection Permit serves as a receipt for the payment of sewer connection fees.

A Sewer Connection Permit for an existing structure not requiring a Building Permit must be issued prior to the issuance of a Plumbing/Sewer Lateral Inspection Permit or an Encroachment Permit (for work in the public right-of-way).

An existing structure changing from septic plumbing system to the sanitary sewer system; without a change in use, must be issued a Sewer Connection Permit, prior to the issuance of a Plumbing/Sewer Lateral Inspection Permit or an Encroachment Permit.

A Sewer Connection Permit in the City of Clayton must be issued before or at the time the building site plans are signed verifying the availability of sewer. A letter of guarantee to pay the required fees may be acceptable.

A Sewer Connection Permit must be issued when a parcel connects to the sewer, even if no fees are collected; e.g. fees were already paid through an Assessment District (AD).

Sewer Connection Fees Worksheet

Connection Charges:

To recover capital and interest costs, sewer bonds and redemption on Concord's sewer system.

Reference: Fees and Charges

Note: Condominium or townhouse developments are charged at the same rate as apartments for all sewer fees.


Within City Prior to September 25, 1952: Any premises which were within the City limits on or before September 25, 1952, on which habitable improvements existed on that date, shall be exempt from all charges provided for above as long as the character and use of the premises is not so changed as to increase the amount of sewage or change the character thereof so as to increase the burden on the system; if any such change occurs, or if application is made for building new or different structures thereon, or if a different use or uses of existing structures thereon is proposed, such premises shall be liable for all charges herein provided to be made. In the case of more than one sewer main available, the oldest sewer main is used to determine if premises qualify for exemption fees.

Participant in Sewer Assessment District(AD):All sewer fees are considered paid for any property, which participated in an assessment district prior to AD #23.

Direct Connection Benefit Fees:

To recover costs from properties in which a sewer line is directly available within a street right-of-way or easement and whose owner or predecessor did not share in the cost of the sewer line available to the property, e.g. through an assessment district. (In the case of more than one sewer main available, the oldest main is used for computations.)

Reference: Fees and Charges


  • No direct connection benefit charge will be assessed if the premises were within the City limits on or prior to August 31, 1958 , and the sewer was accepted by the City on or before June 30, 1958
  • If the property was part of a subdivision that constructs the sewer main no direct connection benefit fees are due.
  • Direct connection benefit fees are always included with an Assessment District and not collected with the sewer connection permit but connection fees may be due.
  • No direct connection benefit charge will be assessed if the property participated in the cost of the sewer main available to serve the property.
  • Any property participating in a current Certificate of Entitlement to Reimbursement will not be assessed a direct connection benefit charge. (see "Certificate of Entitlement to Reimbursement" section)

Sewer Service Charges:

For Treatment costs, maintenance and operations costs, and Contra Costa County Sanitary District (CCCSD) support services. At the time of connection, a prorated amount of this charge is collected for the remainder of the fiscal year ending on June 30.

Reference: Fees and Charges and

For subsequent years, the sewer service charge will be collected with the property taxes, based on a flat rate for residential premises and on water consumption for commercial properties.

Sewer Stub Fees (Lateral Construction Area):

To recover the cost of sewer stubs built by the City in connection with major street projects in order to eliminate future cutting of new pavement for purposes of sewer hookup. Lateral Construction Area Map is located in the Permit Center

Costs for constructing the sewer stub are documented when the sewer stub in installed, and this cost is passed on to the property owner at the time of hookup. These fees vary depending upon location of the main in relation to the property, the need for a manhole, and the number of properties sharing in the cost of the stub.

Main Trunk Reimbursement Fees and Main Sewer Extension Reimbursement Fees:

For reimbursing private parties their costs for constructing main trunk sewer and/or main sewers.

Any party constructing a main trunk sewer, or a main sewer extension, except when construction is done by an assessment district, that will potentially serve properties outside the scope of their project, is entitled to partial reimbursement of construction costs.

Charges for any reimbursement agreement or a Certificate of Entitlement to Reimbursement Agreement are collected with the connection fees and reimbursed by the City to the holder of the agreement. Reimbursements are individually calculated based on construction costs and total number of properties to be served. If the holder of the reimbursement agreement applies for a sewer connection to the main covered by the agreement, the amount normally charged shall be shown as a paper debit.

Credit for Connection Fees:

Credit for previous connection fees paid on a premise may be applied at the current rate toward a new connection on the same premise when demolishing a building and rebuilding a new structure, or upon removal and subsequent addition of new plumbing fixtures in a non-residential building.

Special Regulations for Clayton and Contra Costa County (CCC) Sewer Connection

Building Permit applications within the City of Clayton and CCC directly adjacent to Concord are processed by CCC. CCC requires a sanitary sewer approval before issuing a building permit. Plans are routed through the Community and Economic Development Department for review of potential conflict with existing sewer mains and/or easements, determination of sewer availability, and collection of fees as well as the Concord Building Division for review of plans for possible Plumbing Permit. CCC will not issue a building permit without an official approval stamp from the City of Concord 's Community and Economic Development Department.

Assessment District Information

An assessment district (AD) is a legal means whereby the residents of an area may collectively construct and pay for needed public improvements such as sewer mains. The customers, who make inquiries about the process required to form an assessment district, are handed the referenced brochure, along with a petition form.

Reference: Financing Local Improvements brochure; Petition for Special Assessment Proceedings

In order to set up the AD, the owners of at least 51% (simple majority) of the land area proposed to be improved must want the work to be done and be willing to pay for it. City staff will attend neighborhood meetings to answer any questions which may arise, provide technical information and support, and assist in the formation of the AD. The City Engineer oversees the process.

The cost of the assessment against each parcel will vary depending on the improvements needed, the size of the parcel and the extent to which the improvements benefit the land.

When the project is completed, the property owners are given the option of paying off their assessments in cash or by installments on their property tax bills. These semi-annual payments are used to pay for the bonds that are issued to pay for the improvements costs. Bonds usually run for fifteen years.

Specific information about the formation of an AD should be referred to the City Engineer.

Note: Because the participants in an assessment district participate in the sewer main construction costs, no direct connection benefit charges are due. The sewer connection charge may or may not have been paid.

All sewer connection fees are considered paid for any property which participated in an assessment district prior to AD #23.

Certificate of Entitlement to Reimbursement (C. of E.)

Any person constructing a sewer main extension or main trunk sewer extension, except when construction is done by an assessment district, that will potentially serve additional properties other than the property for which the sewer is being constructed, is attributed directly to the public portion of the sewer main are included in the reimbursement certificate. Any of the C. of E. holder's costs attributed to the private portion of their sewer connection, such as a private lateral, abandonment of a septic system, and/or individual sewer connection fees are not included in the C. of E. (see Article V, Chapter 2, Section 5209F of the Municipal Code). The entitlement costs will be calculated using either the applicants approved engineer's estimate, or other verified documentation of their engineer and contractor costs, plus the City's encroachment permit fees.

Before construction begins, the person proposing to construct a sewer main extension shall apply in writing to the City for a Certificate of Entitlement to Reimbursement. The City Manager, on the recommendation of the Director of Maintenance Services, may sign the C. of E. application and authorize the issuance of a C. of E.. Once the C. of E. has been approved, a copy is forwarded to the applicant and to the City's Finance Department.

A spreadsheet identifying all the properties served, including the property of the holder of the C. of E. will be created. The construction costs of the sewer main will be proportionately assessed to each property served by the extension. The procedure for costing the individual assessments is based on the method for assessing the costs in assessment districts (area of each parcel and number of potential sewer connections that could be utilized by the parcel in the future), or by an established method or accepted general practice as determined by the Director of Maintenance Services.

Properties located in the C. of E. area do not pay additional direct connection benefit charges.

The C. of E. has a ten (10) year expiration date from the date of completion of construction of the sewer main. Any unpaid assessed costs for any property that has not hooked up before the expiration date of the C. of E. will be collected as a Direct Connection Benefit Charge. No further reimbursements will be made to the C. of E. holder.

Note: Some special trunk reimbursement agreement may have a duration longer than ten (10) years.

Contractual Sanitary Sewer Service

Properties located outside the city limits and within Concord 's sphere of influence may connect to Concord sewer by a contractual agreement. The property owner is subject to all the provisions of Article V, Chapter 2 of the Municipal Code. Inspection of the connection process will be done by City staff and all permits will be obtained from Concord . All costs associated with connection to the sewer system will be at the expense of the property owner.

A prorated annual service charge will be collected at the time of connection. In subsequent years, the charge will be collected on the property tax bill.

Prior to construction, the applicant must submit the notarized contract along with the signature of the City Manager. The City Clerk will record the document with the Contra Costa County Recorder and it will be binding on the heirs, successors, and assigns.

Deferred Installment Agreements

For customers who demonstrate a hardship in paying permit fees, a deferred installment agreement may be executed.

The applicant must provide a notarized signature on the agreement and returns it to the Community and Economic Development Department for processing. The agreement will be forwarded to the City Clerk, who will have the City Manager sign and forward it to the County Recorder 's office for recordation.

When all fees have been paid, as stated in the Deferred Installment Agreement, a "Release of Deferred Improvement Agreement" will be generated releasing any further obligations to the City.

Lateral Construction Area (LCA)

In conjunction with major city street projects sewer laterals were built to preclude the need to cut the street for the later installation of a sewer lateral. To determine the costs of the LCA, please check with Community and Economic Development Department for further information.

Septic Systems

Article V, Chapter 2 - Section 5208.A.

No owner or occupant of any premises within the City of Concord, on which sewage is produced and the property cleanout plumbing system is located within a two hundred (200) foot radius of an existing sewer main to which a connection can be made, shall use any means of sewage disposal other than through the sewer system.

Not withstanding the foregoing, no owner or occupant shall be required to connect premises to the sewer system as long as the premises are currently being served by a functioning septic system which, in the opinion of the Director of Maintenance Services, adequately serves the premises. In such cases, the Director of Maintenance Services may approve the deferral of the connection until such time as it is determined that the septic system no longer adequately serves the premises or cannot serve the premises without major repairs.

The owner of a septic system located within the 200-foot rule is allowed to perform normal operating maintenance and minor repairs such as pumping it out, replacing the lid or patching the tank. New drain fields are not allowed. If the property is beyond the 200-foot rule, a new system may be installed subject to the Contra Costa County Department of Environmental Health regulations. The Health Department issues all permits for septic tank installation and does all the inspections associated with a septic system.

If a septic system within the City limits fails, and the building outlet of the plumbing system is within 200-feet of the City's sewer system, the property must be connected to the City's sewer system, even if the sewer main must be extended before a hook-up can be made. The property owner pays for the sewer main extension. In most cases, the owner will be required to extend the sewer main to the mid-point of the property. A Certificate of Entitlement for Reimbursement may be issued if the sewer extension will serve additional properties besides the property owner's.

If the Health Department inspects a septic system and finds that the system has failed and is unsanitary, they will notify the City by sending a copy of the violation letter sent tot the property owner.


Sewer Extensions

Sewer main extensions are required when there is no existing sewer main to serve a property.

A sewer extension requires sewer connection fees to connect to the City sewer system, and an encroachment permit to perform the work required within the public right-of-way or easement. The encroachment permit may be issued after the Community and Economic Development Department has reviewed and approved the sewer extension plans and the developer has posted security and paid the required fees. Plan check fees, sewer connection fees, and encroachment permit fees are paid prior to the issuance of the encroachment permit.

Typically, an applicant must extend the sewer main line along the property frontage to mid-point of his property. The extension plan must follow the Guidelines for Preparation of Subdivision Map and Plans, in particular Sections C., Sanitary Sewers and J., General Notes. All sanitary sewer pipe and structures shall conform to Central Contra Costa Sanitary District and City of Concord requirements.


The proposed sewer extension is processed by the Community and Economic Development Department, who reviews the application and improvement plans, and issues the encroachment and sewer connection permits. Inspection of the construction is conducted by City Construction Inspectors. A pre-construction conference shall be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance of commencement of any construction work.

Submittal Requirements:

  • Improvement Plans prepared by a Registered Civil Engineer - Initial Submittal (4-sets)
  • Engineer's Estimate (2-sets)
  • Contractor's Current Annual OSHA Permit
  • Contractor's Workers' Compensation Insurance Certificate
  • Contractor's Current Proof of Liability Insurance
  • Contractor's City of Concord Business License

Special Discharge Permits

Special Discharge Permits are issued by Central Contra Costa Sanitary District (CCCSD). These permits allow customers to use the sewer system to dispose of effluent that is not normally disposed of in the sewer. Example: ground water recovery, cleaned-up recovered water around oil and gasoline underground tanks, contaminated swimming pool water, etc.

Customers who need a Special Discharge Permit are referred to CCCSD by Community and Economic Development Department. The City may require permits depending on the discharge site.

The applicant must submit, to the City, the required information given to CCCSD for review, such as flow meter readings and toxicity testing results on a quarterly basis. From this information the service charge is calculated based on the quantity of water (measured in hundred cubic feet [HCF] and the quality of the effluent. The customer is often billed at the lower rate because, under normal circumstances, the water has been cleaned to the maximum extent practical by the time it goes into the sewer system



Immediately notify the City of Concord and the CCCSD of any discharge of dangerous or otherwise prohibited materials to the public sewer by calling the following phone numbers:

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday :

(925) 229-7214 Central Contra Costa Sanitary District

(925) 671-3099 City of Concord

(925) 646-1112 Environmental Health, Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Hotline

All Other Times :

(925) 229-7214 Central Contra Costa Sanitary District

(925) 671-3333 City of Concord

(925) 646-1112 Environmental Health, Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Hotline

The verbal notification should include the following minimum information:

  • Location of discharge
  • Type of material
  • Concentration and volume
  • Immediate corrective actions taken
City of Concord CA