Tobacco Retailer License Ordinance Information
License to Sell
- As of Jan. 1, 2007 all tobacco retailers must be licensed to sell tobacco products within the City of Concord
- The purpose of this ordinance is to protect the youth of our community, reduce juvenile crime and reinforce parental authority.
- The Concord City Council supports the efforts to end sales of tobacco and tobacco products to minors
- The Concord Police Department began enforcement of State of California Penal Code 308(a): Sales of tobacco products to a minor and the TRLO Municipal Code on Jan. 1, 2007.
- Enforcement "stings" will continue in the future with the goal of totally eliminating sales of all tobacco products to minors within the City of Concord.
What this means to your business
- If your tobacco retailer license is suspended or revoked, you are prohibited from selling tobacco products during the suspension term and must either cover or hide your tobacco products from customer's view or remove them from your store.
- You have a right to a hearing if your tobacco retailer license is suspended or revoked. There are fees associated with the hearing and any re-inspection process.
What are the penalties?
- Store owners and/or clerks who break the law may be charged with a misdemeanor or may be fined: $200 for the first violation, $500 for the second violation, and $1,000 for the third violation.